Wednesday, March 19

The Busy Week

The 3rd week of every month is The Busy Week. It seems all my planets collide on this week; all sorts of monthly meetings are scheduled for this week and invariably we have a band concert of some sort as well as a deadline for an article. This week we had the All-County Band Concert last night, not one but TWO deadlines, and all the meetings that fall during this week.
My editor last week mentioned that she was working on 9 or 10 articles. No wonder she is having memory problems.

Writing a blog is a funny thing. I love writing in it and try to do so several times a week. However, I directed an old, old friend to it last week and suddenly had Blog Anxiety.

This fellow was my sweetheart when I was 12, 13, 14 and a lttle when I was 15. We have kept touch over the years, off and on, and we "found" each other and emailed last week. In the course of "what have you been up to" I included a couple of links to blog entries of note: the day DH had the accident that took a finger, and maybe one or two others. Probably garbage day. I haven't heard from him since. Yikes!

All this has caused me to wonder: What causes me, and others, to keep a blog? My DIL keeps a lovely blog, mostly photos of her children. It helps all the grandparents to feel in touch with them despite being so far away.

My other DIL keeps a blog that is mostly text-based. She shares lessons from their home-schooling, the ups and downs of military life, and quotables from her three precious children.

My DS2 keeps a blog, mostly text, with an occasional film entry, chronicling his zany outlook on life. BTW, he sent me an email yesterday with a wonderful quote:
"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive
incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." -
Douglas Adams

What a lovely quote. I would fancy having it on my gravestone one day.. .

So, why do I blog? I guess it is primarily a form of self-expression. In much the same way a painter paints to express himself, I blog. Sometimes I am writing for my children and in-laws to see what is going on in the family. Sometimes I just vent on the injustices I observe, or my pet peeves. One key peeve has the middle initial "W." Heh, heh, my brother emailed me today and said,

"I check your blog daily and enjoy it, despite the left-wing Democrat propaganda
that sometimes finds its way into your posts."

Sometimes I blog just because it's a handy place to write and thoughts come to mind in such a perfect stream that I feel, "I've got to write that down." And the blog is the most convenient format to do that. It beats having papers scattered about. Or having Word Docs that no one will ever read...that will be lost when this computer ultimately crashes (as they all ultimately do.)

So. I am off to nearby Small-Town-That's-a-Tad-Larger-than-This-One, the one with a nationally-known NASCAR track. I bought glasses there at a chain eyeglass store, and the more I wear them, the more I think the glasses are all you can see when I walk in a room. They promise if you don't like your glasses, you can return them anytime within 30 days of purchase. I just called to ask what's the catch. She assured me that there is none. So I am off to pick out another pair. Wish me luck.

No comments: