Monday, October 13

Who Are YOUR Water Buffalo?

I watched this amazing video yesterday after our pastor mentioned it in his sermon. He was unable to show the video on our great A/V equipment due to the length: over 8 minutes. Please watch it anyway -- it is memorable!


When he mentioned it, LO leaned over and told me she had seen it before, and it truly is great. I am always a teensy bit unsettled when I realize she is having experiences without me. I seem to still think she is 4 years old. 

So in the afternoon I sought out the film and watched it. Soon as it finished, I wanted to discuss it with her. She didn't want to be bothered. She was completing her tutoring homework and practicing her dancing, at the same time. Answer a problem / jump from the bed and dance for a sec / settle on the bed and work one more problem / hop up and dance for a sec. 

"Who are your water buffalos?" I asked. You won't understand this if you haven't watched that video yet. 

"I don't know," she rebuffed.

"Who are your lions? Your crocodiles?"

"I don't know. I don't care."

Wounded. I sulked and returned to my nana-esque duties. 

An hour later I recovered sufficiently to try again. Door was closed. I knocked and received Permission to Enter. 

She was dancing. Apparently homework was done, as she was thoroughly sweaty. 

I smooched her on the forehead.

"I am your water buffalo," I proclaimed.

pause.

"Papaw is your water buffalo," I added.

"S and K (ndn's) are your water buffalo."

"JW (her confirmation sponsor) is your water buffalo."

"Mr. MEL (her principal, whom she adores, but would not admit) is your water buffalo."

"I get it -- I get it! I am dancing. Leave!"

....but....

She was smiling. 

No comments: