Tuesday, April 14

The ULTIMATE Power



Even though LO has had the same chores for over 5 years now, it's been a battle to get them done. I have had to nag, or do them myself.





It's not that I mind doing them. The point is that we're trying to develop a disciplined, motivated person here.



We have tried lists, charts, monetary rewards.


Something was not working.





Last fall, I asked her to figure out a way to remind herself, so that I could get out of the nagging business.





Nothing. No attempts.





A month ago, I had an idea. I had these colored packaging tags on hand. I bought them a year or two ago, for a piece I did on packing creative school lunches. The tags were for notes from Mommy. I bought them for the photo spread.





Yes, I do deduct this kind of thing. It's a business expense.





So here it is, a couple of years later, and they're on hand.





I had an idea. I printed LO's chores on clear labels and stuck them onto the tags. Loaded the tags on a round key-ring-thingie.





Hung them on a cabinet knob near the refrigerator, where they are easily seen, not lost, and prominently displayed at all times.





The setup was easy. Complete them every day. Consequence if they are not done: texting is turned off for the day.





The first day we used them, the chores did not get done.





I turned off texting.





Tears. "I didn't understand."





Sigh. Okay. To be totally fair, we went over the rules in detail. Do you understand? Is anything not clear? I turned texting back on and warned I would never reverse it again.





That was 3 weeks ago.





The chores did not get done yesterday. I turned texting off.





Anger. Bordering on fury. I didn't mean to. I did them when I got home. I slept late, could not help it.

I stayed calm. They weren't done all day. Maybe you need to go to bed earlier so you can get up.




Last night I was at a school board meeting for my work. Forgot to mute my phone. Ding-dong. I had a text.





(DH and I are the two entries on her list: she can text us at any time despite parental controls. We can text her, too. This is a safety feature. For example, we have texting turned off during the school day. But if there were a terrorist on campus, or she really needed something from home, she can still text me. )





Embarrassed, I hurriedly muted my phone.





Here is the text I received:





"I am dissapointed (sic) in u. I proved u wrong and u still gave me punishment. Im very hurt and angry. DONT TXT ME BACK. If u do Im not reading it."





I did not mention the message.





Neither did she.





This morning, she woke up early. Cheerfully, she completed all her chores. Before we left for school, she asked, "Did I miss any chores?"





Yes, I replied. You have makeup and tissues all over your dresser.





I just checked it. It's clean.





Yay. For now, texting seems to be The Ultimate Weapon. For now.

No comments: