Friday, September 5

Articulate v. Sophomoric

If you've read my blog at all to date (both of you), you know that I have not articulated my exact political views. That seems odd, as my profile identifies me as interested in such things. I do blog frequently about things political, but in a kidding-sort-of-way, never in a thoughtful, here's-what-I-think-sort-of-way.

I have clear, strong beliefs on the war in Iraq, our care of our resources, women's rights (including abortion), gay rights, citizens' privacy, immigration, the economy, our responsibility to the poor, and more. Don't assume you know how I feel about any of these issues, despite my being a self-proclaimed liberal. No one really agrees with each and every plank in his party's platform, do we? 

Yet here on the blog, I only make light of issues, (hence the wig), and bash Bush, because he's... well... he's so bashable. He's only proven one thing to me: that you can purchase a Yale degree. Surely Yale doesn't give diplomas to morons without incentive. 

Why am I writing about whether or not to articulate specific political outlooks? Because my DS2 does it so darn well. I read his blog and think, "Jiminy Christmas, he's done it again." He looks at issues and people objectively and types in his line of thought clearly, intelligently,  and with a wry sense of humor. He knows exactly how he feels about them, and expresses himself well. 

Many of his thoughts, I don't agree with. Some, I do. Yet I always admire the thoughtful and direct way he expresses himself. 

Change of subject.
Today he has the most maddening widget on his blog. It's a button in a square that says, "Don't press this button." When you hover your mouse over the button, your pointer turns into a hand, indicating that if you click on it, something really will happen. 

It looks like this:
This is only a mock-up of the original, that I drew on the computer, and has absolutely no powers. 
You can click on it all day long and nothing will happen.

I really do NOT want to be the sucker who falls for it, but I saw it several hours ago and it is still calling me. "Click me," it says. "Come on." "No," I reply. "It's a trick. Something will scare me or DS2 will get a list of all the visitors who fell for it, or I will arrive at some screen that makes me feel badly about myself because I gave in." 

It's still calling.
Grr.

No comments: