Saturday, September 6

Our Deepest Fear

LO & I watched a film last year -- or was it the year before? that quickly became her favorite film, ever. It's called Akeela and the Bee. I recommend it highly. 

In the film, the girl has a mentor, and he shares this quote with her. It overwhelmed me at the time. I have learned since that it was not original to the movie; it is credited to Marianne Williamson. 

A gf gave a copy of it to all of us who graduated our leadership program this spring. I keep this copy of it on my giant calendar, beside my writing desk. 

Recently I ran across it again, on one of my favorite blogs. Seeing it reminded me to share it here. 

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate,
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?
Actually, who are you not to be? 
You are a child of God. 
Your playing small does not serve the world.
There is nothing enlightened about shrinking
So that other people won't feel insecure around you.
We are all meant to shine as children do.
We were born to make manifest the glory  of God that is within us. 
It's not just in some of us; it is in everyone.
And as we let our own light shine
We unconsciously give others permission to do the same.

As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

My copy says that it was read by Nelson Mandela in his 1994 inaugural speech. 

No comments: