Monday, September 1

Thank you, Brother

When my little brother reads this posting in November, he will likely think the title here is insincere -- sarcastic, but it's not. It is said with much appreciation.

My brother is a, ahem, Republican political consultant. I won't mention any big names but one of his clients is currently running for president of the US.

I received an email from him -- my brother, not George McCain, yesterday. It said:

I look forward to checking your blog everyday and am
happy when you update, but I am taking a moratorium until November, at least.
As someone who makes a living as a Republican political consultant and a
former Senior Advisor to the McCain campaign, there is WAY too much Bush and
McCain bashing on it. I find myself getting upset when I read your posts.
I guess politics is too important to both of us. . .


So, why am I thanking him?

Because of what he did not say.

He did not say, "You can't be my sister because you are a liberal."

He did not say, "We don't have anything in common."

He did not say, "You are wrong."

He respected my right to my beliefs and made sure I understood that he is just taking a break. He will be back.

He understands that we don't pick our siblings. They are picked for us. They are the closest relationships we have, with our parents already being deceased. We all started in the same place -- and by that, I don't mean the tiny house in southern Alabama. I mean in the same womb. We share the same blood, for heaven's sake.

We have chosen different paths, places to live, livelihoods, and beliefs.

He understands that I have as much passion for, and right to, my beliefs, as he does, even though they are diametrically opposite.

It isn't a surprise to anyone when I wax politic. Read the profile at the top of my blog. It clearly warns you of what's coming. He knows I tend to run on. He still reads it. But, for now, he is taking a break. But...he'll be back. He said so.

So, thank you, Brother. See you in November.

No comments: