Friday, September 12

Growing up

Walked by LO's room this am to see her rubbing her Seventeen magazine all over her neck.

Quizzically, I paused outside her door, I am sure with a curious look on my face. "This smells great!" She enthusiastically held the magazine out to me for a smell. Sure enough, the scent was delightful.

"Man, that smells so great you need to lay the magazine on the floor and roll on it," I teased her.

Again, she unflapped the cologne sample on the page and rubbed it on her neck, ears, and hair.

She had asked for pancakes this morning but I was not yet finished getting my own hair and makeup done. "May I start making them?" Sure, I agreed. We had recently made them together and she was familiar with the routine.

She did the whole job herself, preparing, cooking, and eating -- but now that I think of it, not cleaning it up, -- but never mind, did a great job with only one question, does T mean teaspoon or tablespoon?

After eating her breakfast, I was finally ready as well, and we proceeded to the basement door to head down to the garage. We were loaded down with her luggage of the day: backpack, lunchbox, binder with shoulder strap, tennis racket, gym bag with tennis clothing inside.

"Wait a minute!" she called out. "I want just a little more cologne!" Ran to her room and rubbed the page on herself again.

While on the subject, I truly regret all the boxes of pancake mix I have purchased in my life. For the past 10 years or so, I have made my own with minimal work and great savings. The only ingredient that I was not accustomed to keeping on hand is dry milk; I buy it now to have for this recipe.

I have a large clear plastic container for pancake mix. On one side I have taped the recipe for the mix itself; on the opposite side is the recipe for mixing up pancakes. Here are both:

Pancake Mix

6 c flour
2 T baking powder
1T salt
1 c dry milk powder
3 T sugar

Mix well and package in airtight container. Makes about 7 cups mix.

Pancakes

To 1 1/3 cup mix, add:
1 egg
2 T oil
3/4 c water (more water makes lighter pancakes)

Mix lightly, cook on medium-hot, lightly oiled griddle.

No comments: